There’s no secret that we both absolutely adore desserts, especially desserts that get better with each bite. When you find yourself with eyes closed and saying “why is this so good, I can’t even!”. I (Maja) am a huge chocolate fan, like chocolate on everything fan and Jernej is a hugeee caramel fan, caramel in coffee, on top of ice cream and served with apple pie. So for a while now, we have been in the kitchen creating the perfect chocolate caramel slices and we are happy to finally share this incredible dessert with you. These chocolate caramel slices are no-bake and incredibly easy to make. A combination of crumbly, buttery graham cookies, chewy, creamy caramel, and smooth chocolate is beyond delicious.
Chocolate Caramel Slices
MAKES: 20 SQUARES
PREPARATION: 30 MINUTES
CHILL TIME: 120 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 160 MINUTES
- 175 g graham cracker crumbs (6.1 ounces)
- 60 g desiccated coconut or sweetened Coconut Flakes (2.1 ounces)
- 90 g melted butter (3.1 ounces)
- 150 g sugar (5.3 ounces)
- 750 g condensed milk (1.6 pounds)
- 125 g butter, room temperature (4.4 ounces)
- 200 g dark chocolate (50% – 60% cacao) (7 ounces)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Add graham cracker crumbs to a bowl. Stir in the desiccated coconut and melted butter. Line the base of your baking pan (20 x 30 cm / 8 x 12 inch) with parchment paper. Press the mixture firmly into the base of your prepared pan using the back of a spoon. Place the baking pan in the fridge to firm, while you make the caramel.
- While the cookie base is in the fridge, prepare the caramel. Add sugar to a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Let the sugar dissolve completely, without any stirring (very important). You can, however, tilt the pan carefully to move the sugar around. The most important part is to be present and to watch the caramel carefully. The whole process will take approx. 5 minutes. Once the caramel deep golden brown, slowly add the condensed milk to the caramel. Cook until the mixture is golden brown and thick, whisking constantly (make sure to whisk at the bottom of the saucepan as well to prevent burning), for about 10 minutes.
- TIP: Be careful, the caramel mixture is extremely hot.
- Add cubes of butter to the caramel mixture while whisking constantly. Add a pinch of salt and pour the caramel over the cookie layer, spread evenly and refrigerate until firm, for about 2 – 4 hours or until completely firm.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water). Remove from the heat and pour in the vegetable oil, stir until smooth. Pour over the caramel and refrigerate until firm, for about 30 – 60 minutes.
- Cut into slices or squares (makes 20 squares), place on a plate and serve. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!